Week Two at Escorial!


Week Two at Escorial 

Florence, Italy was a dream! (See more pictures on my other adventures page!)

This week has been so nice because I have finally introduced myself to all the kids! I had made a short presentation that I have been sharing with the kids that included pictures of Texas, TCU, my family, and a few maps! Now that they all know a little bit about me, they have been able to practice asking me questions in English! They think TCU is amazing (I happen to agree)!!

I have continued working with small groups practicing flash cards. The cards have pictures on them, so I first say the word and then they repeat it after me. After going through 7-10 cards I have them play a little game (depending on the age group). For example, with the 6th graders I made the game a competition - I would say the word then they would have to find the matching card and repeat the word back to me. Whoever first says the word correctly keeps the flash card! With the younger students I give each child more time and remove the competitive aspect because they are still in the early stages of learning English.

With the 6th graders I have also been having conversations with small groups. We practice a specific skill they’ve been working on in their English classes. This week they are learning about past tense, so I have been asking them about what they did last weekend, last summer, etc. I love this because it is an informal and authentic way for them to practice speaking English and I get to know them better!

We were back at the local theater this morning! The kids did a mirroring dance activity where one child did movements and the other followed along! This was funny to watch the 6th graders dancing and being silly!

I have been able to continue to read with my students! Today, I actually read them one of my favorite books - After The Fall by Dan Santat! This book is about Humpty Dumpty after his great fall. I first showed the children a video that sang the famous Humpty Dumpty nursery rhyme and then read them the book! :)

Tomorrow night we are headed to Lisbon, Portugal! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts